History of the NeighborWorks Lincoln Office

The house at 2530 Q Street was built in 1905 by contractor D.B. Howard for an estimated $10,000.  The original owners and residents were Dr. O.C. Reynolds and wife Nannie C. Reynolds.  Dr. O.C. Reynolds (1857-1911) was a prominent Lincoln physician and surgeon who trained at Louisville, KY Medical College and St. Louis University.  Dr. Reynolds practiced medicine in Seward, NE for sixteen years before coming to Lincoln around 1895.  At the time of his death he was president of the medical staff at St. Elizabeth Hospital, which was Lincoln’s only general hospital at the time.

The Reynolds House has a great deal of architectural significance for the city of Lincoln.  The 4,600 square-foot, 3-story house is one of the earliest examples of concrete block construction in Lincoln.  It was featured in the Nebraska State Journal soon after it was built (see above photo, from December 30, 1906 edition of Nebraska State Journal).  In the first few years of the 20th Century, concrete block almost completely supplanted local limestone as the foundation material used in the construction of Lincoln houses.  A small number of homes also used concrete blocks for the whole exterior structure, of which the O.C. Reynolds House is among the earliest, largest, and best-preserved.

During the time that Dr. Reynolds inhabited the house, it is believed that the residence may have also originally served as a private hospital, suggested by the small rooms in the attic.  By the 1930’s, the Reynolds House had been converted to a 12-unit boarding house, which is how it remained for many years following.  The house returned to single-family use around the year 2000.

As a result of initiating a Capital Campaign, NeighborWorks Lincoln purchased the home at 2530 Q Street in 2012, with the intention of transforming it into our permanent office space.  The City of Lincoln designated the Reynolds House as a Lincoln Landmark and approved a special permit to accommodate NeighborWorks Lincoln’s plans.  Construction began in early 2013, and NeighborWorks Lincoln staff officially moved into the completed office space at the end of 2014.  The garage located on the property has also been renovated and converted into an accessible community meeting room, where Homebuyer Education classes and other NWL meetings are held.

NeighborWorks Lincoln is truly excited about this next chapter of our organization’s story, and we believe that this new space will enable us to better serve the residents of Lincoln for many years to come.  We are truly grateful to our community partners and supporters who were instrumental in the completion of this project.

*Historical information provided by Mr. Ed Zimmer, Historic Preservation Planner, Lincoln / Lancaster County Planning Dept.

Opening Doors in Our Community

NeighborWorks Lincoln is a non-profit organization dedicated to community revitalization through an active partnership of resident leaders, private businesses and public officials. We open doors for people to achieve their dreams of home ownership and for others who desire a safe and attractive neighborhood.

The program assistance NeighborWorks provides is not matched by anyone else. Don’t give up the chance to live in your own home. Buy your home today with the confidence and knowledge this program gives.

– Craig L.
NeighborWorks Lincoln

NeighborWorks Lincoln